Will you come out to your parents?

• From today onwards, this forum runs as a separate entity (from our Mastodon instance) with its own set of forum-oriented rules. Please use this forum community as a place for constructive discussions, support/help, fun topics, non-drama off topics and so on. Bringing over drama from any other websites including our Mastodon instance are strictly prohibited. Thank you!
  • Our forum has been successfully converted from existing forum software (as well as style) to the current ones. The forum style/design is not final. Posting on the forum is possible while we customise the style. Usergroup permissions are not final too. Thank you for your patience! ♥

flye

Administrator
Staff member
May 1, 2018
Rainbow
lgbt.io
I am semi-closeted. I was thinking that it doesn't matter as long as I can accept for who I am myself and that my siblings and some close friends are accepting my sexual orientation. I wouldn't want to come out to my parents because I think they cannot accept it, especially when my mother is like a dictator in the family and my dad is like a decade older than my mother (which more likely to be a lot more traditional minded).

How important for you to come out to your parents?

Reactions: Codeawayhaley

Codeawayhaley

Staff member
May 6, 2018
I don't think it is important, I've come close to it many times but I've given up they aren't the kind of people you should come out too they will just use it to make hurtful jokes and bully.

Raphael

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
I think it really depends on the person and situation. For example, for my mental health sake I needed my mom to understand me being trans nonbinary so she can use the right pronouns and hopefully at some point, the right name. Same for my sister. I feel for me it isn't important for them to know about my sexuality, but I did anyways and it's only caused problems. People say to test the waters before coming out but in my experience it might not always work. I thought my mom would be ok, if not a little confused or wouldn't fully understand but still accept me for who I am. Unfortunately for me, I was wrong.

So to answer your question, I think its different for everyone. Some people might not find it important to disclose their identity/identities either because they don't think it's important for everyone to know or maybe even for safety.

Reactions: Codeawayhaley

JamesJames

Apr 15, 2019
In my situation come out to parent was a disaster. My father still doesn't talk to me although a half year has passed.  I think that's why I have mental health problems that led me to drug addiction.