referring to oneself in third person

• From today onwards, this forum runs as a separate entity (from our Mastodon instance) with its own set of forum-oriented rules. Please use this forum community as a place for constructive discussions, support/help, fun topics, non-drama off topics and so on. Bringing over drama from any other websites including our Mastodon instance are strictly prohibited. Thank you!
  • Our forum has been successfully converted from existing forum software (as well as style) to the current ones. The forum style/design is not final. Posting on the forum is possible while we customise the style. Usergroup permissions are not final too. Thank you for your patience! ♥

Alana

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Does anyone else refer to themselves in the third person on occasion (or more often)?

Personally, I use it sometimes when I just want to be able hear my own name and pronouns being used by *someone* and no one else is. Rarely, I'll use it along with my deadname and old pronouns to contrast an action that I would have done whilst being an egg versus what I would do now. I have a friend that does something similar to that, but basically just refers to anything before he did before he came out as being done by his deadname.

I'm not sure , but I could also see it possibly being something that happens while dissociating or depersonalizing, but that isn't really the case for me personally.

My wife finds my use of third person disconcerting, though, because she is having a hard time seeing egg me and out me as the same person. It's frustrating, but that may be a subject for another post.

Codeawayhaley

Staff member
May 6, 2018
I do, but it tends to be a mark of frustration with something I did like if something turned out not to work the way I intended and I didn't foresee the outcome. I do occasional do so for other reasons, but primarily a sign of frustration.

Raphael

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
I mostly speak in the second person to myself to validate myself. When I do speak in the third person it's when I'm referencing someone saying something to me or about me in the past which is pretty normal I think.