Hi all :D

• From today onwards, this forum runs as a separate entity (from our Mastodon instance) with its own set of forum-oriented rules. Please use this forum community as a place for constructive discussions, support/help, fun topics, non-drama off topics and so on. Bringing over drama from any other websites including our Mastodon instance are strictly prohibited. Thank you!
  • Our forum has been successfully converted from existing forum software (as well as style) to the current ones. The forum style/design is not final. Posting on the forum is possible while we customise the style. Usergroup permissions are not final too. Thank you for your patience! ♥

sky

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Hey it's Sky from over on Mastodon  I'm not sure what I'll post here tbh, but I do look forward to the idea of maybe talking with you all in more depth!

Also I just wanna say the theme for this forum looks *amazing* on mobile and matches our Mastodon so well, dang.  Very slick.

Raphael

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Welcome Sky!

I agree, forums create community more in depth than social media sites like mastodon do! I hope to get to know you more and chat more in depth as well

Reactions: sky

sky

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Definitely!

Also haha I suppose for the benefit of people who don't follow my toots maybe I should like... actually introduce myself  

I'm a translator and fandom nerd, living in the US, 30-and-change. I'm an asexual lesbian, nonbinary, and consider myself mostly agender, but "lesbian" is the easiest shortcut label to describe who I like to date lol.  In my free time I like to play video games and DnD, read fantasy novels, watch shows like Critical Role, do a bit of writing, and other nerdy stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

Raphael

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Ooh translations? That definitely sounds interesting! I also do some writing, poetry, etc! Hope we can see some of your work in the future if you're willing to share!

sky

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
I have to admit I'm pretty shy haha, but I'll give it some serious thought!  Doing some writing type stuff might be an interesting activity for here on the forum 

Reactions: Raphael

flye

Administrator
Staff member
May 1, 2018
Rainbow
lgbt.io
Hey Sky,

Glad to see you joining and your cute profile picture   Thanks for your compliment about the theme on this forum, I like it too, I ensured that it must be almost perfect before announcing it on the toot earlier on. 

Mind if I ask translate for which languages? I once read that people who can speak/read/write more languages are often smarter

Doing some writing type stuff might be an interesting activity for here on the forum
You can surely do this in off-topic for now (might consider adding more sections to the forum when it grows) and add a tag (or prefix) like "poem" or "writing" to it. The next time people want to do the same, they can also use the same tag/prefix  A topic can have only one prefix, but more than one tag. 

sky

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Thank you!  I spent some time trying to pick out a perfect picture lol

I'm a Japanese ➡ English translator I work for a Japanese media company translating stuff on their official website.  It can be hectic, but pretty interesting.  In my off time I sometimes like to translate stuff for friends, like fan manga and what have you, haha.

Thank you for letting me know about the tags/prefix!  I'm definitely still getting used to how this software works.  I have no idea how I changed my font size for only a single sentence up there, for example. 

flye

Administrator
Staff member
May 1, 2018
Rainbow
lgbt.io
I'm a Japanese ➡ English translator
In my previous reply I was going to tell you that my sister is studying Japanese language in Japan now, and planning to become a translator. But I stopped writing that because it should be all about you in this topic! Now, I must say it.

Thank you for letting me know about the tags/prefix!  I'm definitely still getting used to how this software works.  I have no idea how I changed my font size for only a single sentence up there, for example.
Don't worry, you'll slowly get used to it. As for the font size, you have to Select All your text on your mobile browser (or highlight the whole thing if you're on computer) then change the font size. I am not entirely sure what you did earlier on, but I could probably see why it happened. You can always edit your message within 15 minutes after you posted a reply.

sky

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
In my previous reply I was going to tell you that my sister is studying Japanese language in Japan now, and planning to become a translator. But I stopped writing that because it should be all about you in this topic! Now, I must say it.
Oh man, that's awesome though!?  Talk about a funny coincidence.  What does your sister want to translate?  I got to do a couple of study abroad trips when I was in college, those were definitely some of the best experiences of my life.  Hope she's getting to do a lot of cool sightseeing

Don't worry, you'll slowly get used to it. As for the font size, you have to Select All your text on your mobile browser (or highlight the whole thing if you're on computer) then change the font size. I am not entirely sure what you did earlier on, but I could probably see why it happened. You can always edit your message within 15 minutes after you posted a reply.
Ohh I see, are you sure it's set to 15 minutes?  I'm pretty sure the forum was telling me I couldn't edit anymore after 5 minutes, but I might have just misread it.

For some reason either my keyboard or mobile web browser wasn't playing nicely with the forum's edit controls though, I did Select All several times but never saw any font size controls  I'm guessing that's likely a problem on my end rather than a problem with the site, though.

Reactions: flye

flye

Administrator
Staff member
May 1, 2018
Rainbow
lgbt.io

Hey 1@sky[/USER], you were correct that the edit time was at first set to 5 minutes, I then changed it to 15 minutes. You didn't see it wrongly.

In my country many of us speak around three languages, including English and Mandarin. So my sister will be translating mostly between Japanese and English, as well as Japanese and Mandarin. She's still studying, so we'll see

(I'll have a look at the text editor problem you mentioned) 

Last edited by a moderator:

sky

Rainbow Members
May 6, 2018
Ohh, that's awesome! I'm not very good but I've studied a very little bit of Mandarin.  Someday I hope I'll have time to learn better, my SO is Taiwanese so I'd love to be able to talk to her in all of her languages... ☺

And thank you very much about the technical stuff :D  I really imagine it's me and not the site, but just in case it helps, my phone is on Android 8.0.0 and I use the Samsung Internet browser (the stock browser for Samsung phones).